P.E at St James Catholic Primary School
PE at St. James Catholic Primary School
- At St. James Catholic Primary School, the intent of our PE curriculum is to deliver a curriculum which is enjoyable and accessible to all and that will maximise the development of every child’s ability and achievement in all areas of PE.
- We want to enable them to know more about physical activity and keeping healthy and how they can make the right healthy choices.
- We also provide as many opportunities for our children to take part in festivals and competitive sports against a variety of opposition including all sports in the School Games and the U Dance Festival.
- We want to give all children the chance to achieve and look to find different options for those that are not as physically active as others - for example, we have taken groups of children to an indoor climbing centre to take part in climbing, some of which achieved a qualification.
- We endeavour to open up children’s eyes to a world of other sporting opportunities. To do this we have developed links with many local clubs (cricket, football, rugby, dance) and more national clubs such as Wigan Warriors, Leeds Rhinos and Blackburn football club. Children, both girls and boys, have travelled to watch games and take part in training sessions at these clubs.
- These activities have been made more difficult due to COVID-19 in 2020 and 2021.
- We have also organised both rugby, football camps that take place at half terms in our own town and opened these up to children from other local schools.
- We utilise high quality coaches for games, tennis and cricket and have signposted children in the directions needed to further their ability. Past and present pupils, girls and boys, are now playing cricket at both district and county level.
- These opportunities are aimed at breaking some of our barriers - geographical isolation, low aspirations and experiences and limited experience of cultural and ethnic differences - and providing children with some sporting and physical opportunities they may otherwise not experience.
Swimming - This year we have seen Years 3 and 4 go swimming for the first time since losing the Millom swimming pool. It has been great to see their water confidence grow and swimming skills improve as they have completed their sessions. Year 3 and 4 will continue in the Spring term and Year 5 and 6 look forward to going in the Summer Term.
Gymnastics - This year all of our children are enjoying Gymnastics sessions at Millom Recreation Centre run by qualified coaches. The children are thoroughly enjoying the sessions and children have made some great progress. Each week children are awarded 'Star of the Week'
October 2022 - Cross Country - It was great to take part in the the cross country event at Blackcombe School. Children from Years 3, 4, 5 and 6 took part in the event and showed their determination. We had one individual first place and two seconds, along with our Year 5 and 6 team winning their age group! It was a great afternoon!
October 2022 - Dodgeball Competition - The first competition of the school year sees our Year 4 children as the winners! It was great to get out and compete against children from other local schools.
Reception Class - September 2022 - Reception Class are already in full swing, with a great session of gymnastics.
A great start to the 2022-2023 academic year, as the whole of KS2 spent a day each at the outward bound centre at Brathay Trust. We all had a fabulous time!
Year 4 - September 22nd 2022
Year 5 - September 21st 2022
Year 3 - September 20th 2022
Year 6 - September 16th 2022
16th - 20th May - Exercise is great to keep healthy! Well done to all our children who took part in our 'Walk to School' week.
May 2022 - Years 3 and 4 practicing their rugby skills whatever the weather! They are getting ready for a Tag Rugby competition with some of the Millom Rugby League Coaches.
April 2022 - Reception class had a great time with Jake from Cumbria Cricket - we can't wait to start our cricket sessions!
March 2020 - Year 3 had a fantastic time participating in the U Dance festival at The Carnegie Theatre in Workington! Well done Year 3 - we are very proud of you!
March 2020 - Excellent performances from both our Netball teams at Blackcombe school today! Well done to the 'A' team who won the competition and will progress to the Copeland Final next week! Thank you to Miss Carlton for running the Netball club!
March 2020 - Some of our Year 3 and 4 children competed in the Quicksticks Hockey cluster event at Millom school. Well done to both our teams coming joint first!!
Miss Carlton was impressed with the great Hockey skills on display! Well done everyone!
February 2020 - Year 2 were practicing their catching skills today...thinking carefully about cupping our hands and bringing the ball into our bodies.
February 2020 - Well done to our Year 2 Gymnastics team who competed at Millom School. They did extremely well and came second overall! Well done team!
February 2020 - Year 5 practising their Netball skills in PE this week. There will be a Year 5 and 6 competition in a few weeks time!