Modern foreign languages teaching at St James' Catholic Primary School starts at Key Stage 2. We aim to introduce children to an additional language which fosters curiosity and deepens children’s understanding of the world. Children learn to communicate in speech and writing and respond to speaker’s thoughts and ideas. We aim to provide the foundation for further learning of languages. At St James' we have chosen to learn French as our additional language.
In French we offer our children:
- The confidence to speak with good intonation and pronunciation.
- Fluency in reading.
- Fluency and imagination in writing.
- A strong awareness of the culture of the countries where the language is spoken.
- A passion for language and commitment to the subject.
- The ability to use languages creatively and spontaneously.
- An independence in their studies and the ability to draw upon a wide range of resources.